A few weeks ago I signed up for Google Book Search as a way to help market Fear Not! Discovering God’s Promises for Our Lives. According to Ray Robinson of Dog Ear Publishing, “Authors involved in Google Book Search – all authors have this option – had sales far above the authors who chose NOT to have their books included.” From what Ray said on the Dog Ear Publishing site about Google Book Search it would:
- create new ways for potential readers to find your book
- give readers the opportunity to browse a small portion of your book
- show readers where to buy your book
- let you find new ways to sell books and earn income from your book
So why wouldn’t you want to be a part of something that would boost your sales? Here’s my take on it so far:
- It has given a new way for potential readers to find my book. In fact I’m #2 if you type in the entire title. However, if you don’t know the entire title, best do an advanced search for the book or you won’t find it.
- For some reason I have yet to figure out, my book doesn’t have the browse feature. It doesn’t even have a preview of the cover! If cover design is one of the most important aspects of selling a book, then tell me, what chance does a book with no cover preview have? This is something I’ve got to see if I can work out.
- Indeed it does show you where to buy the book. I was psyched to see that Fear Not! Discovering God’s Promises for Our Lives is now available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble (though, again, no cover image on B&N and apparently it’s “out of stock”).
- As for “new ways to sell books and earn income” I’ve yet to discover any.
I can’t say that I really expected a huge jump in sales, but I was very disappointed in the total lack of results. After taking a look at the entry in Google Book Search for Fear Not! Discovering God’s Promises for Our Lives, though, I’m not at all surprised. I’m certainly going to look into improving what I can, but I have to wonder how much Lulu has to do with the dismal appearance. Then again, it could be a simple thing to overcome just like my store link was.
As always, this Independent Author is continuing to reach out to potential readers in anyway she can on The Road to Writing.